The question as to whether to ban homework or not bothers the majority of students. According to some studies, teachers tend to assign inordinately many assignments than students can handle in a night. This article discusses why teachers should abolish homework and reasons to permit 30 minutes of homework daily.
Experts’ opinion on banning homework
According to an article from HuffingtonPost, students from the United Kingdom and the USA believe the number of homework assignment tasks is not fair. It recommends not over 30 minutes of homework assignments. Students cite boredom and laziness as the reason why teachers should not assign them homework assignments.
Reasons for banning homework
- Downtime at home, completing 2 hours of homework after attending class for 8 hours, appears like punishment to children. Children feel good when left to engage in other activities such as playing with other kids and watching TV.
- Adverse effects on tests, schools should ban homework assignments to permit obtaining better marks. Students tend to fail their examinations since they focus too much on homework tasks.
- Additional challenges, students engaged in other businesses with homework assignments, part-time jobs, or internships have a hard time catching up with additional tasks.
- Inadequate support, studies have found out that teachers fail to explain how students will solve the assignments during class time, and parents might not be in a position to assist in every assigned task.
- How students perceive things: Students perceive things differently. Hence some students understand and memorize topics when they watch similar videos, while others understand a topic after rereading it texts several times.
- Different effects of writing, genius students get to understand the subject matter better. The lack of research and writing skills might fail all courses, and teachers fail to help.
- Lack of tangible impact on performance: According to research by OECD homework assignments, tasks should not exceed 4 hours per week since the extra hours have a negligible effect on efficiency.
- Irrelevant content: Homework deserves a ban if it does not emanate from studies, subject or topic. It is morally wrong to assign homework to students on the content they have not covered in class
- More care, more love. Strictest parents confess that they rarely see their children. Education and work divide these generations. When the number of homework assignments gets reduced, family members will have quality time to spend together.
Disadvantages of banning homework
This section enumerates reasons not to ban homework assignments.
- Reduce screen time. Without a homework assignment to occupy students, they will spend approximately 8 hours watching daily. Experts recommend not more than three hours, since it breeds laziness and damages eyesight.
- Improve time management. All professionals need time management. Lacking time management becomes impossible to a portion of the days 24 hours every day.
- Improve critical thinking. To improve both memory and necessary thinking skills, students need to do extra assignments after class time.
- Inculcate a sense of independence. The majority of children strive for more freedom. Homework assignments provide an opportunity to discover personal threats and weaknesses and to work independently.
- Spark enthusiasm. Homework assignments enable parents to communicate with their children.
- Improved research skills: Doing homework assignments means that students must be observant. https://domyhomework123.com/ writing service provides them with an opportunity to collect necessary evidence and choose sources well.
- Learning to multitask, with multiple homework assignments to do per night, a student develops multitasking skills. One assignment might need computer & analytical skills, writing, and research.